Thursday, June 17, 2010

Who Sings this again...?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and I have decided that like most rappers these days, I will start EVERY conversation with my name. You may ask, “What do you mean Jamie?” Allow me to explain.
I hear the DJ say (in corny radio DJ voice) “And next up we have Jason Derulo’s “In My Head”. The music begins and the first words out of Jason’s mouth (yes we are on a first name basis) were, “Jasoooooon Derulo…Oh, Oh”.  I mean there wasn't even 4 seconds between the DJ saying his name and then the singer AGAIN saying his name.  Who do they think they have listening, goldfish?  (For those of you who are unaware goldfish only have a 3 second memory span, so that was a funny joke).  Jason Derulo In My Head... Hear for yourself.
It got me thinking, I know who is singing the song, the DJ just said it, and had I listened to the song on my iPod I would have to know who sang it as well in order to download it (illegally). So why do R&B artists feel the need to announce their name at the beginning of every song? I would say it’s a guy thing, but I have heard Rihanna, Beyonce, and other females do the same.
Because I too am a narcissist (that’s a genetic trait, which was passed on to me from my mother, and to her from her mother MY GRANDMA) I have decided that from here on out I will start every conversation that same way.

Here is an example. I am sitting in my office with our assistant, and she asks me how my weekend was, I respond with:


(In a sing-song voice) “Jamieeeeeeeee Smith… OH ,OH… (back to normal voice) It was good I went to Target bought a new dress and wore it out on Friday night.”

I think it’s important to do this, just so no one ever forgets who they are talking to, don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment